Thursday, January 7, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story- Rachel Mead

       There's one instance in particular that I'm very proud of and really thought of myself as an entrepreneur. Being in the Innovation Academy, we participated in Catalyst, a competition in which students shared their innovations. Inspired by my high school research project, my group and I designed earphones for the purpose of eliminating noise. The difference between our headphones and the current soundproofing headphones, such as those designed by Bose, was the material that makes up the earpieces. We used a non-newtonian fluid (a fluid that takes on the properties of a solid when force or pressure is applied) and soaked it into a soundproofing foam. This process bettered our 3D printed headphones because the non-newtonian fluid help deflect sound waves. We called our headphones Inaudibles. Our project was runner up for an award but we did not place. Instead, one of the judges offered to sponsor us and fund our research and advancement of our project. This really made me proud of my group's innovation and I saw that there really were resources out there that I could utilize.
       I enrolled in ENT 3003 because I love coming up with new ways to solve a problem. I have plenty of experience in leadership and love helping others expand their ideas and listening to other's suggestions for my own. I would like to take away from this class how to network more efficiently and be a better presenter. I look forward to seeing what this course has in store!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing that you were able to invent something as creative and innovative as a soundproof headphone. Maybe your group really can do some research, and develop the headphones into the next best thing. These can be the headphones that everyone is wishing for. I am also interested in learning more about the Innovation Academy program. It sounds like a fun program where I can learn to be more innovative. I would not consider myself an innovator, but I want to be an entrepreneur because I want to start my own business.

    The link to my entrepreneurship story is http://entrepreneurshipblogs.blogspot.com/2016/01/my-entrepreneurship-story.html

    ReplyDelete