Saturday, January 16, 2016

World's 10 Biggest Problems- Rachel Mead

These are 10 problems (not in a particular order) that I personally think are the most challenging to overcome.

Problem 1- Poverty
I think that poverty is something we often hear about, but don't take the time to think about the affect it has on others because we don't personally relate to it. I believe a lot of people acknowledge it's a problem but think to themselves that others will take care of the issue. I think the most effective way to combat these issues are programs that offer a product you would normally buy, such as Toms, that donate the same product or a portion of money, at no extra cost to the consumer, to those in need. I've noticed that people feel better about spending their money on something that goes toward a greater cause.

Problem 2- Animal Cruelty
Animal cruelty is something I take a lot of offense to. I think any human being who participates in any type of animal cruelty (from domestic animals to farm animals) should be given the same consequences as child abusers and those charged with domestic violence. There are numerous laws against animal cruelty in every state yet we still treat animals as products or entertainment. In order to fix this issue, I think we need to start with the root of the problem and teach our children about animal cruelty and treat it as a serious concern. I also think we need to take further action in regulating and disciplining those who are caught abusing animals, including large companies that slaughter animals.

Problem 3- Global Warming
I find it hard to believe that people think global warming is a debate. From what I've learned, global warming is a natural occurrence, however we are contributing to the rapidness of the situation. Because our generation doesn't see the effects of our actions first hand, it's hard for many people to take global warming seriously. I think once the impact directly effects us is when people will see it as a major issue and it will be too late. I believe the earth will continue to thrive in the future, only with other organisms and not necessarily with the human species if we continue at this rate. Again, I think education is important and I think we should offer more classes and programs with projects that directly contribute to the well-being of our planet.

Problem 4- Obsession with Money
It's kind of twisted that in order to be successful in this society, we have to have money. I've never agreed with the saying, "Money can't buy happiness." I believe that no, money doesn't define happiness, but it most certainly can buy us better education, better food, better health, etc., which in turn makes us happy. And that sucks. Unless you want to be that guy who lived on an isolated island for a very long period of time all by himself and fought for his resources, there's no way we can really separate ourselves from the drive to obtain money. To be honest, I don't really know a solution to this problem but I hope we can find a way out.

Problem 5- Student Debt
Problem 4 leads me to the issue of student debt. Like I said before, we can't get away from our need for money. Money buys better education. But what happens when you have to borrow money in order to get the same opportunities as everyone else? Debt. I think scholarships are great and the fact that we can take out student loans is amazing, but wouldn't it be better if we just simply had the right to gain knowledge for free? If you've ever watched Good Will Hunting, you'll know what I mean. We could seek out the knowledge we want but the only way we can apply it is for our knowledge to be passed on through schooling we pay for so that we can officially be recognized. My solution to this issue would be to have jobs define guidelines so that people can study and work toward those guidelines and be able to take certifying tests on their own. Sort of like training for a job but with a focus on education.

Problem 6- Addiction
Addiction is a really big problem that many people face. It's so controlling and hard to get out of. Once I came to college, I started hearing more and more about all the people who have tried major drugs and I think this is where a lot of the problem starts. My first solution would be to say to try and limit accessibility, however I've heard of cases where some countries have legalized drugs such as weed and crime rates actually decreased. So, I would suggest seeing which option works best.

Problem 7- Chronic Diseases
Back in the day, people used to die of colds and common illnesses. Now, we face the challenge of Chronic diseases. I think this could be linked to the amount of processed and preserved foods that we eat. There is plenty of research going on that is contributing to finding a cure. But I think it would be best if we could fix the source of the problem in the first place, at least in the cases where chronic disease is not genetic. I would encourage more fresh foods be available at decent prices and for companies to stop putting additives in our foods or stripping away the nutrients from them.

Problem 8- Self Image
Self image is a huge issue that leads to many other problems and illnesses. I think society is starting to take a turn and recognizing how severe this problem is but it's still going to take a few more generations to have more accepting ideals and views. I think we are influenced by many factors when we are younger that promote poor self efficacy and esteem such as dolls, magazines, commercials, communication, etc. A good solution would be to show different types of people in the media. Although I think Victoria's Secret models are beautiful, they are teaching girls and women that you can only look a certain way in order to be like one of them. I think companies like that should follow Aeropostale's lead and stop photo-shopping images and including people of different backgrounds, shapes, and sizes. We should also teach our kids to be proud of their differences.

Problem 9- Depression and Suicide
This is an issue that is constantly rising but also being more and more ignored. According to the CDC, half of people with depression get treated and 1/25 suicide attempts are successful. The AAS estimates that a quarter million people become suicide survivors every year. I personally know people who have been very close to me have battled depression and suicide so this an issue I take very seriously. I think one of the most important things is awareness and encouraging people to talk about their issues. We should also teach people that suicide is not something to be shamed and it's not something to joke about. I think it would be great to continue teaching kids that it's not okay to bully others, as this is where a lot of depression and suicidal thoughts arise from. I think this issue is one that many people are afraid to talk about but shouldn't be and we should offer more resources to those struggling with Depression and Suicide.

Problem 10- Equality
You wouldn't think that equality would be an issue in the year of 2016 but in my opinion, people still choose to be close minded and ignorant. I truly believe in the saying, "love has no boundaries" and everyone should have the right to love another person, despite age, color, gender, religion, etc. It amazes me that people can be so cruel to each other and the fact that our government bases decisions off of religion, when one of the purposes of starting a government hear was to be free of religious obligations, and societal standards that shouldn't exist. There's a lot I could say about this topic but I think the best solution is for society to just live and let live. I think we're on the right path and fighting for laws that encourage equality for all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel!

    I found your ten biggest world problems to be interesting. I wrote about animal cruelty and global warming, too. I felt these were important and should be addressed. The point you made with our obsession with money was original. It can ultimately devastate society because it drives the best of us into a state of behavior that is not acceptable. I thought addiction was important, too. Addiction is difficult to combat and can lead to suffering and loss. I love the quote: “Be the change you want to see in the world.” The resolutions you made with each of your listed problems were good and could possibly revert the problem. Your stance on equality and how we should just encourage fairness for all and fight for the laws that support it is similar to my outlook on the issue. Let us live and let live.

    Here is my link if you are interested! http://myentrepreneurshipinizio.blogspot.com/2016/01/bug-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Rachel.

    I find it interesting that you mention animal cruelty as your 2nd biggest problem in the world. Personally, I don't agree with that at all, but at the same time, it certainly is a very emotional situation and something that is very depressing to see. I think if you maybe tied it in to mass meat production it would hold even more weight. I respect that it is something close to home for you though. Some of the other stuff you posted is also very eye opening as it's not stuff I've thought of whatsoever. Feel free to go through my list here (http://fhostettlerufent.blogspot.com/2016/01/worlds-biggest-problems.html).

    ReplyDelete