Friday, January 8, 2016

Week 2 Reading Reflection- Rachel Mead

       While reading the first chapter of Entrepreneurship, I learned about some facts that I didn't know of before. I was surprised to read that only 18% of entrepreneurial businesses failed between 1977-1993. I expected the number to be at least 30%. I also found it interesting that there is a growing demand for "Green Apparel". I know about the efforts against animal testing but I was unaware there was such a thing as organic cotton and other materials that are considered green.
       I started getting confused reading about the integrative and dynamic states approaches. It was difficult for me to see the major differences between the two. It seemed to me that they covered mostly the same topics and were made up of similar components.
       If I could speak with the author, I would ask if he would consider someone who develops methods and strategies to make something such as advertising or marketing more successful an entrepreneur. I would also like to know why about half of start up businesses fail after the first five to seven years and how often those failed businesses try to restart again.
       I felt that this chapter mentioned a lot about how entrepreneurship should pay attention to the economy and while I don't necessarily think this is wrong, I think that more emphasis should have been placed on targeting specific audiences and consumers. This is an important aspect of entrepreneurship that I feel should have had more attention. Even if an innovation is great for an economy, it has to be engaging and beneficial to customers.
       Overall, I thought this chapter was a little repetitive but I did learn some interesting facts and was reminded of differences between the different areas of entrepreneurship.

No comments:

Post a Comment